Monday, November 2, 2009

Food Article Response

Discussion Questions:

1) Why do people choose to eat products that are unhealthy for them?
2) What roles/responsibilities does the government have in framing your choices?
-Should they be responsible for educating us?
-Should they be responsible for managing all products we consume?

I think that people choose the unhealthy foods because they are cheaper, prepared for consumption quicker, and constructed to taste better. I also believe it is because of the way unhealthy foods are presented. Consumers are mislead to think that an item that contains fruit traces, counts as a fruit serving when in reality it is a dessert. People will always feel good about themselves if they eat something healthy. The problem is that they focus on nutrients instead of a balanced diet. This leads to more bad choices. the point is not to be healthy in one aspect and unhealthy in the rest. For example eating a carrot does not mean you should be rewarded with chocolate cake. People make poor food choices because they are misinformed.

The government most certainly is responsible for educating the public. If they are going to regulate and distribute food, we should know how it affects our bodies. Now they do this to an extent, they post ingredients and nutrition facts on the products. However few people know the effects of the ingredients and the nutrition facts are skewed on a non-average scale. The federal government needs to tell the whole truth and present all the facts. On the other hand people should also take responsibility. I do not think the government should manage all the products, nor do I want them to regulate it all. they should be in charge of processed foods. Organic food is best left in charge of the farmers who grow it. The people can handle it better than the politicians.

2 comments:

  1. I agree Zach. People choose to be manipulated, even when they know damn well 1% fruit means 99% processed sugar.

    I would argue that it should be the government's responsibility, but realistically I doubt they could handle it effectively.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that every topic and situation have two sides. I think that health is most important thing in the life for many people. In my opinion unhealthy food is delicious, but I eat it only once a month so it isn´t so bad for my health, because I do sports so I am not obese, but not so thin. But I like every kind of food. For example I like Italian food like pizza and spagetti. I like eating because it gives me a lot of energy, good luck and I spend some time with my family or friends during eating. I think that bio food is not so good because it is so expensive and I think you can´t eat only bio because it´s not good for health. Because you need to eat every kind of food and change it after some time. THAT´S A GOOD WAY.Every food is good and it depends on you if you eat only one kind of food and don´t move, or eat every kind of food and do some move activities. What do you think? What is the better way? How do you do it? What´s your favourite food? Bye. Have a nice day :). Gitka

    ReplyDelete